These are the top ten things you can do to attract and keep hummingbirds in your yard…
- Purchase an easy to use, quality nectar feeder. We prefer saucer style feeders like the Aspects Hummzinger.
- Know when Hummingbirds arrive in your area and have your feeders out at or before their arrival.In Kansas it is from late April / early May through September / October.
- Plant flowers in your yard. Generally, brightly-colored flowers that are tubular hold the most nectar. We will provide a list of good choices in the description below. If native flowers don’t bloom before hummingbirds arrive in your area, consider buying some hanging baskets or ready to go potted flowers from a nursery.
- Place your feeder in and around flowers. A small shepherds hook in a flower pot or your garden works great!
- Change the nectar often. A minimum of twice a week and every other day during hot weather. This is very important.
- If possible keep the feeder out of the sun as much as possible. Purchase a shade guard if you are placing it in full sun.
- In addition to a nectar feeder, add an insect feeder like the humm-bug.
- If your Feeder doesn’t have one, use an ant moat to keep ants out.
- Hummingbirds spend 80% of their time perching so offer a perch or hummingbird swing near food sources.
- Offer nesting material like the Hummer-helper, other birds will benefit from this as well.
Watch our video on how to attract and keep hummingbirds….